Businesses of all sizes today work in a world that is incredibly fast-paced and connected. This means that in order to keep the workflow moving forward, the capacity to do a task quickly and accurately is essential.
There are numerous conventional in-person notarization solutions available for notarizing documents. Unfortunately, a lot of these services are expensive and call for advanced scheduling of meeting times. On the other side, Remote Online Notarization (RON) offers easy access to these services at a reasonable price without any of the hassle.
What is Remote Online Notarization?
The process of having a notary public, a trustworthy official appointed by a state government, notarize a document remotely using audio-visual technology, electronic signatures, identity verification, an electronic notarial journal, and record-keeping technologies is known as remote online notarization or RON.
What states allow Remote Online Notarization?
As RON legislation continues to spread across the United States, notary publics have the ability to conduct remote online notarizations. In 2011, the Commonwealth of Virginia became the first state to pass RON legislation, and SIGNiX played a significant role in its drafting. In 2015, Montana adopted their strategy. The number of states that now accept RON has increased since then.
Currently, these states have adopted permanent Remote Online Notarization (RON) laws:
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
It's important to verify with the authorities in your state for the most recent information because the status of RON legislation is subject to change.
States that temporarily allow Remote Online Notarizations
- Alabama - Per Senate Bill 275
- Georgia - Per Executive Order 06.30.21.02
- Maine - Through June 23, 2023, per Executive Order 37 FY 19/20
- Mississippi - Per Executive Order No. 1467
- Rhode Island - Temporarily allows online notarization
What states do not allow Remote Online Notarization?
- Connecticut - Temporarily authorized remote online notarization services due to COVID-19, however, this authorization has expired as of July 1, 2021.
- California - Does not allow any remote online notarization services at this time.
- Delaware - However, there is currently nothing in Delaware statutes that prohibits an individual or business from using a remote notary from states who permit remote notarization.
- District Of Columbia - Does not allow any remote online notarization services at this time.
- Massachusetts - Temporarily authorized remote online notarization services due to COVID-19, however, this authorization has expired as of December 15, 2021.
Benefits of RON with SIGNiX
The remote online notarization software from SIGNiX, eNotaryDox, offers users an intuitive platform at a far lower price than competing systems. The use of audio-video technology in conjunction with the patented digital signature technology of SIGNiX allows notaries to carry out their duties in a quick and easy manner while ensuring the accuracy of their papers and the pleasure of their clients.
TotalAudit™️, a record of the signing and notarization process, is a component of SIGNiX's eNotaryDox. In order to positively confirm the identity of the signers participating in the notarization process, SIGNiX also offers powerful, multi-factor authentication alternatives including knowledge-based authentication.
Many significant transactions that must be carried out in a trustworthy setting involve the use of notaries, who are essential to the process. With greater customer satisfaction, cost-effectiveness, security, and fraud protection, SIGNiX's solution for remote online notarizations enables notaries to both win new clients and grow their existing clientele.